Ultimate chocolate Roulade
175g good quality dark chocolate
6 medium eggs
175g caster sugar
2 tbsp cocoa
300ml double cream
75g raspberries (optional)
To finish, icing sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 180C, Gas 4. Grease a 33x23cm Swiss roll tin and line with greaseproof paper.
2. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. You can also melt the chocolate in the microwave but take care not to burn it. Allow to cool slightly.
3. Separate the eggs into two medium bowls. Start by whisking the egg whites with a hand whisk until stiff.
4. Whisk together the egg yolks and caster sugar for a few minutes until pale and creamy. Stir in the cooled chocolate and cocoa powder.
5. To incorporate the eggs, add two large spoonfuls of the whisked eggs to loosen off the chocolate mixture. Fold in the remaining egg whites and fold in with a large metal spoon.
6. Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
7. Whisk the cream until it holds its shape.
8. To finish, lay a piece of greaseproof paper on the kitchen work surface. Sieve over a spoonful of icing sugar. Turn out the roulade from the tin and carefully peel away the lining paper.
9. Spread over the double cream, scatter over the raspberries, if using then roll up carefully. The roulade will crack as you roll but this is quite normal. Dust with more icing sugar and serve.