Celebration Slow roasted pork
half a shoulder of pork, weighing roughly 5kg
2-3 tbsp Chinese 5 spice
1 head celery, roughly chopped
2 onions, quartered
1 bulb garlic, halved across the middle (don’t worry if some of the cloves fall out)
To serve potato gratin and Watercress salad
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C Gas 7.
2. Place your pork on a clean work surface, skin-side up. Using a sharp knife, score the pork skin, about a centimetre apart through the skin into the fat. Take care not to into the meat.
3. Rub the skin of the pork with the Chinese 5 spice.
4. Place the prepared vegetables into a large roasting tin and place the pork, skin side-up on top. Roast for 30 minutes, until the skin of the pork has started to puff up and you can see it turning into crackling.
5. Turn the oven down to 170°C Gas 3, and roast for a between 10-12 hours basting the meat every 2-3 hours.
6. If the crackling on the pork is not completely crispy turn the oven up to 220°C Gas 7 for the final 30 minutes.